Saturday, November 1, 2008

Amazon Kindle

I really want to get the Amazon Kindle! Of course this is not surprising since I love technology gadgets. If you haven't heard, it's an e-book reader that uses wireless service to deliver books to you once you have purchased them. According to Amazon.com you can shop the Kindle bookstore right from the device, read the first few pages of a book to see if you want to buy it, then once you do it is delivered to your Kindle in less than 1 minute. (Get a much better description at amazon.com - I don't feel like describing what I know about it right now.) Sounds pretty awesome to me! I have been thinking about it, coming up with ideas to justify buying it. Here's what I've got:

Pros
-doesn't use paper (thus saving trees!)
-can hold approximately 200 books, all in a package the size of a small paperback (no more bookshelves taking up all that room! and you can take them all with you wherever you go)
-all books purchased are backed up on your Amazon.com account so if your Kindle is damaged or lost you can just download them again to your new Kindle
-most books are $9.99 as opposed to the upwards of $30 many hardcovers are these days
-wireless book shopping and delivery!
-it'll be much more difficult for me to skip ahead and read a little bit, giving things away (my bad reading habit)
-etc.

Cons
-you don't have the books purchased in hard copy
-can't really think of any others..

Hm. I just have to decide whether I want to spring for the first model that is out now, or be patient and wait for the second release that will likely contain updates and upgrades...

If you have a Kindle, I would love to hear what you think of it! Just leave me a comment. :-)

No comments: